Thursday, March 6, 2008

Did you know...




After attending a Parent Meeting at our community center given by a a registered dietitian I used to work with, I learned some very interesting facts...

1. According to Dr. Sears, "Over 70% of disease is preventable through good nutrition."
2. Today's recommendations are for us to eat 9-12 servings of fruits & vegetables each day. Less than 7% of children eat 2 servings of fruits & 3 servings of vegetables everyday.
3. By age 3, children have fatty deposits in their arteries
4. By age 12, 70% have developed the beginning stages of hardening of the arteries.
5. 1 in 4 children is obese.
6. Our children on average consume 5 lbs of sugar each month (what??????)

Yikes - I must admit that we do pretty well at our household.

However I'm interested in this book to give me more tips for incorporating more fruits & veggies into our diet. Does anyone have this book? What do you think?

7 comments:

Dim and Jana said...

I think that book is very similar to the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld that I have... I love it and think it helps get the veggies in all of us!
Good luck...

Elaine said...

Those books are similar and there is a big controversy about them...long story but I do have the book you mentioned Andrea and love it. My problem is opposite though....Silly I know, Mallory eats only fruits and veggies, Can't get her to eat meat. She does o.k. with carbs but worry about her protein. 5 lbs sugar!?? Whoa. Thanks for the info. I'll think twice about the next sucker I give her.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Dana & Elaine. We'll see what happens to our weekly menu when the book arrives!

All American Family said...

Please let us know how that works out for you. I really need to get more fruits and vegies in my diet...I have the same issue as Elaine...Jacob only want fruits and vegies. I only want meat! How can he be my son?

Lani said...

I'm lucky in that Kekoa and Gavyn both love most fruits and veggies. Gavyn's more of a carnivore then, Kekoa, but Kekoa gets protein in eggs and eats some meat - not a lot, but some. If you try out this book, let me know how you like it. I, too, have been interested in this and the Deceptively Delicious books.

Sara, Justin, Simon and Max said...

And my doctor tries to fatten my baby up! You can't win, can you? Miss you!

Bruce and Deb said...

Hello, Thanks for posting this its so true!! Friends in Northern Michigan - Deb