Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash and Polenta with Fried Sage


A wonderful side dish for this fall




Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line sheet with parchment paper.
Toss together 1 lb butternut squash (peeled, seeded, & cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
and 2 tbsp olive oil in bowl. Spread on baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Stir and bake another 15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile soak 1 cup polenta in 1 1/2 cups of cold water in a bowl for 10 minutes.
Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
Stir in polenta and remaining water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil.
Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low & simmer, stirring occasionally about 15 min until thickened. Stir squash into polenta and cook until heated through. Spoon into hot bowl to serve.

To fry sage: Melt 2 tbsp butter (I used 1 tbsp) in a small saucepan over medium heat, and cook until it sizzles and browns lightly. Add 12 fresh sage leaves and saute until crisp. Scatter over polenta. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese & serve!

side note: I purchased soft polenta in a tube and thus omitting the soaking in 1 1/2 cups of cold water. I added the polenta directly to the boiling chicken broth and it worked fine.
Enjoy! We all loved it.






1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow that sounds wonderful! I wonder if we could get uncle Ryan to eat that? ;) And I'm not sure what polenta is. Where would I find it in the grocery store. I guess I could google it...

Thanks for sharing!